Who’s responsible for updating the V5C?

By Alicia Jarvis
Updated on August 2, 2021


Who’s legally responsible for ensuring that a vehicle registration certificate (V5C) is updated? 

The V5C is a vehicle registration document that registers your vehicle with the DVLA. It contains all the information about your car. But who’s responsible for updating it?

The registered keeper of the vehicle is responsible for updating the V5C (vehicle registration certificate). If this is you, you need to report to the DVLA if any changes are made. These changes could be your name, address or car information. Failing to do so could lead to difficulties when selling your vehicle.


What is the vehicle registration certificate (V5C)?

A vehicle registration certificate (V5C), commonly known as a logbook, comprises vehicle information. It details:

  • The name and address of the registered keeper of the car.
  • Details about the vehicle, such as the manufacturer, model, and engine size.
  • The first date the automobile was registered.


Even if they are not the legal owner, the registered keeper is responsible for taxing the car. If you are the registered keeper of a vehicle, it is your responsibility to maintain your V5C details up to date. You must notify the DVLA when:

  • You move your postal address.
  • You legally change your name.
  • You alter any of your vehicle’s characteristics (eg colour).
  • You no longer have access to the car.

You can update your V5C by filling out the relevant part and submitting the entire form to the DVLA, who will issue a new V5C. Notifying the DVLA ensures that your V11 (tax reminder) is delivered to the correct address, allowing you to tax your car. When a vehicle is sold, both the seller and the buyer must sign the V5C, and the seller must send the relevant section of the V5C to the DVLA.